Children are our future and it is up to us, as adults, to not only allow them freedom to express their thoughts and feelings but to allow them to dream without limits. Listen as Adora Svitak describes how adults can remove their restrictive tendencies and learn to trust kids with some pretty amazing ideas.
It is no surprise that Winter brings cooler temperatures to the Twin Tiers. You may be wondering what in the world you can do with your Little when the chill of the outdoors isn't so thrilling. Here is a list of our top 20 things to do in our area this Winter.
1. Take in a movie at the Sayre, Keystone or Rialto Theatre.
2. Make Smore's Indoors: Purewow has the steps you need!
3. Play a board game
4. Visit the Discovery Museum of Play in Binghamton, NY to check out their new Energy Exhibit.
5. Visit The Strong: National Museum of Play in Rochester, NY
6. Support the Bradford County Regional Arts Society and the Missoula Children's Theatre performing Gulliver's Travels on Feb. 11th at they Keystone Theatre and Mar. 4th at Nelle Black Westgate Auditorium in Canton.
7. Teach your Little a new skill. Whether it be craft making, computer building, sewing or even just basic fix-it skills; take whatever you are good at and pass that knowledge along.
8. Flip through a cookbook to find a meal they'd like to try: shop and cook together.
9. Create a care package for a soldier.
10. Conduct a Science experiment: You can find a whole list here.
11. Complete a puzzle
12. Volunteer at the Bradford County Humane Society. They always need friends to walk the dogs and play with the kittens.
13. Bake cookies and deliver them to a Senior Care Center in your community.
14. Host an ettiquete dinner.
15. Create an "Activity Jar": Discuss ideas of activities you'd like to do together and compile them in a jar. In the future, if you can't decide on an activity, refer back to the list you made!
16. Play video games.
17. Go ice skating.
18. Attend the BBBS Kid's Zumba class on Feb. 11 at the Bradford County YMCA.
19. Have an indoor picnic or tea party.
20. Raise money and attend our Bowl 4 Kids Sake Event.
I hope you enjoyed this list and that you find fun things that you and your Little can do together while staying warm this Winter!
I can't wait to celebrate my birthday and my favorite Pixar movie with the Little's in Bradford and Sullivan Counties. Up is a great reminder that "adventure is out there" and sometimes we have to let go of the past to embrace what is waiting for us in our future. For me, there is no better motto as I left a career in teaching to pursue this new adventure in mentorship. This month we will be thinking about all of the things we want to pursue and creating a miniature vision board to keep these ideas in mind throughout 2017. Bigs from each of the high schools are welcome to join during their Little's lunch time. If you are interested in learning when I will be in your district, comment below :)